Court Farm, Camping , St Stephen, St Austell, Cornwall
‘The Manor of Court’ was built by Richard the Lionheart’ for his son – the then Earl of Cornwall – in 1261. It is referred to in the Domesday book – and features on an ancient map which is on display in the castle on St. Michael’s Mount.
When the Roundheads defeated the Royalists at the Battle of Braddock (near Lostwithiel) - Court ‘s farmhouse was razed to the ground. When the Civil War ended – the farmhouse was rebuilt – only to be burned down again (by accident) – in 1880! The smaller end of the house (opposite the office) is the only remaining part of that second -build.
Between approximately 1400 and 1600 – the house was occupied by the Tanner family. When the house was rebuilt the second time, 8 ft long coffins were found in the crypt beneath the house!
As Bill Truscott, the present owner, is classed as a ‘Cornish
6ft. 8ins tall – he is trying to find if there is a link between
the Tanner and Truscott families. The Truscott family have occupied
the house for the past 250 years – Bill
being the third generation – and proud of the fact that he now
sleeps in the same bedroom in which he was born!.
An agricultural engineering business operated in various sheds along the driveway for many years in the 1970s. The farm has diminished in size over the years, due to the decline in farming viability, and in 1989, when Bill’s father, H.L. Truscott died, more land had to be sold in order to settle family inheritances.
Bill still farms the land as pasture for sheep, and silage and hay. The business is now a family affair, with Bill, Ann, and son-in law Simon ‘running the show!
Pitches include 2 Persons & 1 Car
Electric Hook ups from
Standard Pitch from
Extra Person (16+) from
Extra Person (3-15) from
Extra Child (0-2) from
Pup Tent from
Or Call Now
|Court Farm Campsite & Holiday Cottages. St Stephen, St Austell, PL26 7LE • TEL / FAX : 01726 823684, MOBILE : 07971971673 or 07973 773 681 • Email email@example.com|