About us

About us

Court Farm Camping and Caravanning St Stephen, St Austell, Cornwall

Book now
‘The Manor of Court’ was built by Richard the Lionheart’ for his son; the then Earl of Cornwall, in 1261. It is referred to in the Domesday Book and features on an ancient map, which is on display in the castle on St. Michael’s Mount.
When the Roundheads defeated the Royalists at the Battle of Braddock (near Lostwithiel), Court‘s farmhouse was razed to the ground. 

When the Civil War ended the farmhouse was rebuilt only to be burned down again (by accident) in 1880! The smaller end of the house is the only remaining part of that second-build.

Between approximately 1400 and 1600 the house was occupied by the Tanner family. When the house was rebuilt the second time, 8 ft. long coffins were found in the crypt beneath the house!

The Truscott family have occupied the house for the past 250 years; Bill being the third generation.
Sole ownership of the farm passed to the Truscott family from the Fortescues (who owned much land in Cornwall until the last century) in the early 1960’s.

Bill and Ann Truscott retired from the farm in 2014, moving to Bill’s barn down the fields, leaving Simon and Lisa to continue the running of the family business of camping holidays and livery yard. After the foot and mouth outbreak in 2001 the sheep were sold and we moved totally over to horses, offering livery for locals and also to offer holiday grazing for anyone wishing to bring their horses on holiday with them!

Bill continues to work on the farm when he can, helping with the never-ending mowing and invaluable advice on where to go and what to see in Cornwall.
Share by: